Thursday, May 05, 2005

Closing Time?




Rather than write my thoughts on tonight, I thought I would reprint my views on this series before the series began.

From the April 22, 2005 entry on this Blog

As for the Rockets-Mavericks series, as opposed to writing a long essay on why the Mavericks should win this series, allow me to cut to the chase: They are better. The Rockets have plenty of reasons to be proud, but in a 7-game series, the team with the bigger guns and better weapons tend to rise to the top by the end of the two weeks. When you cancel McGrady with Dirk, and then just size up one team’s remainders (Yao, Wesley, Sura) with the other team’s (Finley, Stackhouse, Howard, Terry, Van Horn, Dampier) you see why I feel like I do. Mavericks in 6.

By the way, I might anticipate that this series will be tied at 1-1 and 2-2 before the Mavs win games 5 and 6 to advance. We shall see.


I may not have nailed it perfectly, but I stand behind it…

Links:

Van Gundy becomes a Houston Hero


Now he's our guy. He fought for us, and now we're standing behind him.

He's a native New Yorker, but, at the moment, couldn't be any more of a Texan if he showed up with cream gravy on his tie and a Dan Jenkins novel under his arm.
As for the man himself, he seems both dazed and amazed by the reaction.

"That's why I love living here," he said Wednesday afternoon as the Rockets prepared to play Game 6 of a best-of-seven series against the Dallas Mavericks tonight. "People are genuine, they're nice, they're kind, they're compassionate."
He declined the money offers, saying: "I had choices to make. I made 'em. I have to live with the choices."

This is the same guy — or is it? — who was widely viewed with distrust during most of his first two seasons here.

"I didn't mean to make myself the rallying point," he said.

Too late.


Galloway on the Van Gundy controversy

Mavericks come together as a team – Art Garcia

Pick and Roll all night in Game 6 ...

Chan Ho Shelled, Rangers sweep A’s


The win gave the Rangers a sweep and their first three-game winning streak of the season. Since the night of the brawl that ended with Frank Francisco pitching a chair into the stands, Texas is 9-2 against Oakland.

It stands in stark contrast to the Rangers' prior fortunes against the A's. From the start of 2002 through the night of the brawl, the Rangers were 14-28 against Oakland.


NFL’s unresolved issues

Here is a pretty decent racing blog: That’s Racin

If you love Liverpool (I know, not many here do), here is some video that will make you happy: From Tuesday Night



UW College student, above, beat up; Badgers RB arrested for fight

Star Wars selling products

Junior plays lame game


So, who's to blame, because NASCAR Nation needs to know.

During interviews immediately after the incident, every driver from Mike Wallace to Rusty Wallace to Mark Martin to Ricky Rudd took the high road. They passed it off as the inevitable "Big One" inherent in every Cup race run with a carburetor restrictor plate.

Maybe that was a rare instance of political correctness, prompted by live network TV cameras and the knowledge that any real - and certainly obscene - ranting would be met by a fine and loss of points from the sanctioning body.

Two days later, Junior tagged Johnson as an "idiot" - a statement equal to the kiss of death - while apparently absolving himself.

Having reviewed the same replays over and over as everyone else out there, Junior's words sound like a belated attempt to cover his butt.

The accusation is unworthy of Junior, a five-time winner at Talladega.

Or, maybe it's Junior's way of dancing around the fact that Hendrick Motorsports has caught up to and perhaps surpassed Dale Earnhardt Inc.'s engine program on NASCAR's plate tracks.




I know I am a bit late on this, but it is still worth the read! Sports Guy kills Fever Pitch

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Walk on Sturminator Walk on

Great Vid from the Kop

There are soccer fans out there don't despair and keep on fighting Dan for soccer spots

Anonymous said...

I take Yao easily over any Maverick not named Dirk, and its not particularly close. If Dirk continues to be a non factor in playoff games, it wouldn't be surprising if Yao becomes a bigger factor than Dirk next year.

Mark D. said...

Please stop with the soccer bit! If you have time to talk soccer. Find some to talk Arena Football and NFL Europe! I bet more people care about those two than soccer.

Anonymous said...

Bob:

Please state a legitimate reason you should be supporting Liverpool -- have you ever lived there, gone to school there? Have you ever received mail there?

Interested in Burleson

Anonymous said...

Bob,

GROSS! Are you trying to compete with Gordo for the most disturbing photos?

Anonymous said...

Bob,
The records speak for themselves. Jeff Gordon has the edge in plate racing now. He had a great car at last week's Dega race. Other drivers could possibly catch him, but as D.W. says, catching a car and passing a car in plate racing is two different deals.
What does that have to say about DEI and specifically Jr.?
My opinion is he was trying to over-drive the car. He may have bumped Mike Wallace from behind, but I'm hearing that Wallace lifted, or slowed down because of what was in front of him.
The point is, it was an accident. Stuff happens. Does that mean it was preplanned and premeditated? I think not. I congratulate Jeff Gordon for his win. But there is a large part of the season left. Let's see if he can go through the rest of the season without an accident.

Lew

Anonymous said...

Bob.
I also found some good reading about Jimmie Johnson's "style" of driving. http://www.nascar.com/2005/news/opinion/05/05/jjohnson.smith/index.html

Have a good day!

Lew

Sturminator said...

Lew- You might be confused. I did not write anything today, I merely was showing text from the link. That is what the indentions on my blog indicate.

Interested in Burleson-

I will write a response on the blog tomorrow that might explain how an American adopts a random English soccer team.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Bob:

Please include why you happen to adopt one of the most successful clubs in Soccer history and not Port Vale, Brentford City, or Oldham Athletic.... would kinda be like me adopting the Patriots, Yankees, and Lakers even though I've never recvd mail in any of these places......

Interested in Burleson

Sturminator said...

Like I said, Burleson, I will explain the whole story, and then you can sort through the details and decide whether or not I am allowed to follow them. I very much anticipate your ruling.